Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Battle Over Quality – People Who Refuse To Learn

I had a battle with a guy the other day who refuses to even try to buy American, saying things like I will buy an American car when you pay my repair bills, this is a good example of the idiocy that has befallen American when it comes to cars, yet the same people are the ones who whine abut the economy.

If you would just give America a chance, you might be pleasantly surprised, I'll tell you up front I have studied the issue of the imports building quality in their cars, and I have not been able to find any proof of this, if you look in to recalls for problems, Toyota has just as many as Ford or GM.

If you look at the products that the cars are made out of, you'll find that the imports don't use better quality products to build their cars, by products I mean sheet metal, plastic, leather, electronics, or any product that you could care to mention.

When I was working the repair shops I repaired just as many imports as I did American cars, I had to do about the same amount of maintenance on the imports, so again I ask you, where is this huge difference in quality, and I better have proof if you try to answer this question.

If you research it, you'll find that I don't just run at the mouth, all of the things that I say can be proven if you do the research, I will not do it for you though, if you want to learn the truth, it's all up to you, the next thing that I will here on this is that their machining processes are better then our are.

Wrong again, the importers are using CNC machines the same as we do, and they buy them from the same manufactures that we do, not the one area where I will agree is that their employees have a better work ethic then a lot of ours do, and I will agree there.

Their paint process is the same as ours is, their cars are built the exact same way as ours are, well except of course the hand built cars, like Ferrari, and a few others, but you must compare apples to apples to get real answers, to get true answers.

Where you'll find differences is when you start comparing a high priced German import to a Chevrolet that's not even in the same class, remember apples to apples, if you compare a $30,000 Mercedes to a $30,000 Chevrolet they will be about the same quality.

I get truly sick of hearing the crap that they are better then we are, don't just say it, prove it or don't waste my time with the import propaganda because I don't care, I have owned them, and I have driven them, and to this point in my life, have never figured out why people insist on spouting this crap.

3 comments:

Paul Esch said...

When I was much younger I bought a new Chevrolet Citation. GM recalled this wonderful car to replace the stamped plastic gears in its manual transmission with properly machined metal gears.

I swore a mighty oath that I would never consider buying a GM product until I had first received proof that GM was epending more money on engineering than on advertising, and until Consumers Reports readers gave favorable long-term quality ratings to GM products for three years in a row. I am still waiting.

By contrast, my 1990 Acura Integra, which I also bought new, has 260,000 miles on it with scheduled maintenance only, and no major repairs.

GM probably could not survive if its built cars this good. However, it definitely will not survive, no matter how much federal aid it gets, with its current management and operating philosophies.

Unknown said...

I have said exactly this for the last twenty years. It infuriates me to hear comments like inferior quality, don't last, etc. I will tell you what I do, I don't do business of any sort with anybody driving a non-American nameplate, ever! This has been my policy for many years. If they can't buy American, I don't buy from them. Thank you very much for your editorial, I and I know many people appreciate your opinions. James Myers

Kwame Owusu said...

I agree with you in that American buyers overexaggerate the extent to which America cars have bad quality. It sickens me sometimes, too.

Good article.